1. What the HMRC app enables you to do
You can use it to:
- view your tax code and an estimate of the tax you need to pay
- see your income and benefits
- check your National Insurance number
- view your tax credits payments schedule
- renew your tax credits
- access your Help to Save account
- use our tax calculator to work out your take home pay after Income Tax and National Insurance deductions
- track forms and letters you’ve sent to us
- get 6-digit access codes to make your HMRC accounts more secure
2. Getting started
3. How to sign in
The first time you sign in, you’ll need to enter your Government Gateway ID and password. If you haven’t got these, go to the Government Gateway website and register as an individual.
Whenever you use the app again, depending on what your handset supports, you can sign in using:
- a 6-digit PIN
- fingerprint authentication
- facial recognition
4. Setting up a personal tax account
You can use the app to set up a personal tax account by giving us your name, National Insurance number and date of birth.
If we need to verify your identity, we’ll ask for details such as your passport number and information about your salary.
5. Sign in to your Help to Save account
The Help to Save service is a government-backed savings scheme for certain people on low incomes.
If you have a Help to Save account, you can use the app to:
- check your Help to Save account balance and bonus
- keep track of how much money you’ve paid in each month
- see how much money you can still pay in before the end of each calendar month
- set regular reminders to add to your savings
- view all your payments and withdrawals
If you want to do other tasks, such as pay money in, it is easy to sign in to your Help to Save account using the app.
6. Safety and security
HMRC takes cyber security very seriously – see how we are keeping you safe online.
7. Help and support
If you have a problem with your account that you can’t solve using our online resources, there is other help available.